Simple daily habits to keep your home and inner being happy : ) By professional organiser Martha Locke
1. Make your bed every morning - Enjoy the simple pleasure of shaking the duvet, straightening the pillows and creating a place of comfort and joy. Invest in cotton and matching fabrics you love and a comfortable mattress.
2. Put things away - As you move around your home in the morning take 5 or 10 minutes to put anything away that’s still lying around. Begin to give things a home if they don’t yet have one. This is an ongoing practice but start to relate to everything you have as important and worthy by giving everything a home.
3. Enjoy your daily shower or wash - When you shower or bathe imagine the water cleansing all of you. Any leftover stuck energy from yesterday or during the night. Imagine it all being washed away down the plug hole.
4. Connect to your clothes - As you get dressed ask yourself with each item you put on; Is it completely comfortable and do I really love it? Does it spark joy? If not, just be aware of it. Be mindful, and you may decide to pass it on if and when the time's right. No need to judge how you feel about it or act straight away. Simply being aware of how we feel is very powerful.
5. Keep spaces clear - Close draws if they are open as well as cupboards even if they're a bit stiff. Energy can move around your space easier if there are fewer places to get stuck and caught up in. Think clean lines and edges. This goes hand in hand with putting everything back where it belongs once you’ve given it a home. : )
6. Treat yourself every day - Make sure you do something for yourself every single day that makes you happy. Go for a little walk outside. Treat yourself to tea and cake. Take your children to the park and give yourself permission to play and be like one of them instead of the adult. We are way more generous when we’ve had a little time to ourselves or permit ourselves to play!
7. Lean to be still - Take time in your day to be still. Focus on your breath and imagine your thoughts and emotions bursting like bubbles in the air. Remember that you are an eternal being and the universe is on your side. You are loved deeply and practising to be still is the best way to take care of your inner life. I set the alarm for 15/20 minutes, sit quietly and breathe. But 5 minutes is perfect. Children also love to join in if they see you doing it too and you can make it into a game like sleeping lions. Grrrrr! . 8. Be brave every day and face your fears -Try to do one thing every day that either scares you or that you keep avoiding. Put it on the top of the list and see what happens as the stuck energy around it shifts and moves. Try to keep your to-do list small. Three things are enough. Work through them one at a time then create a new one. The list will keep on growing but having just three items at a time is a great way to train the brain to stay focused.
9. Treat each day like a sacred ritual - How you begin and end your day is so important. Breathe, relax and be gentle however busy you are or whatever it is you’re facing. Life is so much easier when we remember to relax. And give yourself time in the evening to unwind, read or slow everything down. Hot water with lemon before bed and 5 minutes of sitting meditation is a wonderful way to end the day.
You are precious, and your home is an extension of your preciousness. Practice letting go of things as soon as you no longer need, love or use them. Allow life to keep revealing it’s beauty to you by only having what you love around you. Keep it simple and be mindful when you let anything new into your life and let it go when it’s time. It’s a journey, and you're doing great!